Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Angie Le Mar Exclusively Presents The Brothers

Thursday 16th October 2008

Top British comedian, Angie Le Mar, has received the honour of having one of her most successful playwrights, The Brothers, recorded to be broadcast on MTV Base later this month. Originally written as a radio soap for Choice FM, The Brothers garnered huge success and was subsequently developed into a theatrical production at the Hackney Empire. Much to her great surprise, the play broke records by becoming the fastest selling show at the Empire for 10 years.

The Brothers, which was Le Mar's written and directorial debut, centres around a male group of friends whose relationship is put to the test after a series of betrayals and deceit arise within their kinship. Le Mar described her inspiration in writing the story was due to her desire to see a more positive view of black males in the public eye, explaining that she felt there is currently too much emphasis on their relation with gun-crime and violence. Expressing her concern that black youth are not being exposed to an alternative way of resolving arguments, she stated, 'They need to learn how to deal with arguments in a better way. They need to understand that they can step back and say “that hurt” and it be okay. They need to learn to hug each other.'

The top-selling show is portrayed from a male point of view, in which Le Mar revealed she had some knowledge, having been raised in a household alongside male siblings. 'I have four brothers, so have been in an environment around men.' The comedian also revealed that she drew from the strong male presence in her life, particularly from her husband, her father, and her close friends. Yet, the British comedian confessed that she doesn't believe there to be a distinctive line between the way men and women feel. 'I don't think that men and women are all that different. If a father is not able to see his child, I think we all know how he's going to feel. We both hurt in the same way, so that's how I approached writing the story.'

Having already hit the stage with many shows, including the critically acclaimed Funny Black Women on the Edge, Le Mar compares her theatrical experiences to that of being with family. However, the radio DJ conveyed her initial apprehension in directing a cast of such successful British entertainers, among whom were Footballers' Wives star Chucky Venn, Jason Barrett, and So Solid Crew's Harvey, who replaced Richard Blackwood from the original cast. 'I was concerned about how the guys would take to me. I had to be like, “I'm not Angie, I'm the director. I'll be your friend during lunch, but now you have to do what I say!”' Despite her concerns, the cast worked well together, and took time out of their busy schedules in order to appear in the exclusive MTV taping.

With such a great response to her written work, Le Mar revealed what we will be seeing of the entrepreneur in the near future. 'I've got [another production] coming out next year, which will also be a book. I've got two books lined up. One will be sort of like an autobiography – drawing from my experiences.' Alongside this, Le Mar told us that The Brothers will be further developed into an eight-part series, as well as her sell-out show Forty to be filmed for the big screen. However, the comedian confessed that she hasn't lost her passion for comedy, despite her continuing success in writing. 'I've been writing for seven years, so I would definitely like to get back on stage. I miss the laughs.'

With an array of successes under her belt, and a ever-propelling career set for the future, Angie Le Mar is a huge inspiration to the black community in the UK. Having been asked what advise she would give to people aspiring for success in their own lives Le Mar declared, 'Just enjoy what you're doing. Whatever it is you want to do, enjoy it. I don't have a particular definition for success,' she confessed. 'It's a success that I'm breathing, a success that I'm here. In the mornings, I say goodbye to my kids, and in the evening I make them dinner. Some people strive just to do that, and I already am. So success can't really be measured.'

Yet, Le Mar advised to be aware of people intent on hindering your aspirations. 'People try to give boundaries or goals. They say, “Well, Angie Le Mar doesn't have her own TV show.” But, I never really thought of it that way. I don't have a TV show, but I have shows that are breaking the box office,' she stated. 'But, as long as you're honest and kind you'll make it wherever you choose to be.'

Catch The Brothers in its exclusive two-night showing at the Hackney Empire on the 24th and 25th October, with prices ranging from £15 - £20.

For more information, visit: www.hackneyempire.co.uk, or call 020 8985 2424.

PUBLISHED IN NEW NATION NEWSPAPER

No comments:

Post a Comment